A Step by Step guide to flossing your teeth
If you hate dentists, there is one thing you can do to avoid visiting them as much as possible, flossing. This seemingly innocuous activity, when done daily, can reduce your chances of teeth problem by about 40%.
Many people don’t believe in flossing and still go on to have fabulous teeth. Our forefathers didn’t even know what flossing was and still survived with good teeth for hundreds of years.
So why do we need to floss in this day and age?
Due to a massive change in food habits in the last hundred years, our teeth have come under a massive attack from bad bacteria. The acidic nature of our food erodes the protective enamel and lead to tooth decay, gum erosion, gum disease, etc.
Flossing is a simple daily activity that helps fight off this modern epidemic. In case you never learnt it as a kid, here are the steps to effective flossing.
- Choose the right kind of floss. Some are too thick while others break easily. If you hate using both hands, get a floss stick. Many people find it easy to use floss stick rather than the strings.
- Floss before you brush. That way all particles that are set-off can be taken off in the brushing.
- If using the string type, take about 18 inches of floss, tie up most of it to one finger and using your thumb and index finger take the floss to the first tooth.
- Glide the floss string gently between teeth and use to and fro motion to move the floss. Change directions constantly and use low pressure.
- Be especially careful while flossing between your teeth. If you are new to flossing, your gums may bleed occasionally. When that happens, stop for a second, gargle some water and continue with lower pressure.
- Work in a clockwise direction and floss both the upper and lower teeth. As you move from one tooth to another, use a fresh section of floss. Gargle often to get rid of smaller particles that get disengaged.
- Finish by brushing your teeth. Use a gentle toothpaste and soft bristles to ensure you do not damage the enamel.
If you prefer a drink before bed, choose an alkaline non-sweetened drink. Bacteria don’t like the alkaline environment and lack of sweets will be an additional advantage.